April 10, 2017
The 2017 Shakespeare Festival
All the world’s a stage, and from June to October the stages of Cedar City, Utah will be filled with the genius wit, thrilling drama, and delightful humor of William Shakespeare.
For five glorious months, skilled actors will present some of Shakespeare’s most popular plays, as well as some non-Shakespearean plays. This is the perfect time to introduce new generations to the wonderful world of Shakespeare and dive headfirst into the renaissance.
The Performance Lineup
The summer festival features some Shakespearean plays and a few others. For the 2017 season, plays will include Shakespeare in Love, Romeo and Juliet, As you Like it, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, William Shakespeare’s Long Lost First Play (Abridged), Guys and Dolls, Treasure Island, The Tavern, and How to Fight Loneliness. There is also a free event, The Greenshow, which is full of laughter, love, and adventure. This huge range of exciting plays provides something for even the most discerning of tastes.
The Utah Shakespeare Festival isn’t just another hodgepodge of plays thrown together. This festival is so incredible it earned a Tony Award in 2000 for “Outstanding Regional Theater”. Guests who are lucky enough to enjoy the shows at the Utah Shakespeare Festival will feel lucky to have had the opportunity to watch Shakespearean plays in such an incredible, unforgettable way.
More than Plays
The Utah Shakespeare Festival offers so much more than a chance to watch incredible plays. They have a variety of seminars, orientations, and a deeper look into the life and works of Shakespeare. Serious play enthusiasts will feel right at home at the Utah Shakespeare Festival.
Wherefore Art Thou? Hopefully in Cedar City
Missing the fantastic plays and events at the Utah Shakespeare Festival will surely lead to regret. Visitors have a chance, from June to October, to have an incredible time while experiencing Shakespearean plays like never before. Visit https://abbeyinncedar.com/hotel-deals-in-cedar-city-utah_.php right now for a terrific deal on ticket prices and other amazing deals in Cedar City. This celebration of the life and works of William Shakespeare is something that cannot be missed
Best 5 Planning Tips for a Resourceful Family Vacation
January 30, 2017
Budget-friendly family vacation planning requires a lot of research. Particularly when you are traveling with your kids you need a perfect planning so that you can spend your vacation peacefully. Most people do the common mistake by miscalculating the expenses during vacation. When you are planning your vacation budget, don’t forget to include cabs, meals, tips, souvenirs and other miscellaneous expenses. Though you planned for an affordable budget vacation, you still can enjoy a lot of fun activities and you can spend quality time with your family.
Photo Credit: Lagniappe Destinations on flickr
Select a Vacation Spot Closer to Home:
People generally look forward to going different places in the world for a memorable vacation. Faraway destinations, plane rides often come to their mind when they plan for a vacation with a family. But, there is a possibility to find a better vacation spot closer to your home, like Newyorkers can opt for Florida or Hawaii destinations. Similarly, Florida residents can choose New York City or Caribbean destinations for a happy and budget-friendly vacation with family.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money for flight tickets to have fun; you can as well choose the closer areas that offer you loads of fun and excitement. After all you are looking for a peaceful get away to be with family and friends. Plan your activities and follow it exactly so that you won’t miss anything.
Involve Children to Choose Activities:
Make sure to involve your kids in choosing the activities, plan your day trips perfectly, so that kids do not get bored and tired. Also, make sure to get a nice and comfy hotel for your stay, it makes kids happy and naturally you will be happy. Planning is required especially when you have a limited budget and it is not something bad to make a perfect plan to save money, when you involve children in selecting the day trips can make them happy and one less worry for you. So, go ahead and involve all your kids in choosing activities and day trips when you are on vacation.
Camping is Fun:
If you and your family are comfortable camping at campsites, then choose to camp, it is the best and fun way to bond and catch up with your loved ones. Camping at the campsite can cost you very less compared to the hotel room. Many campgrounds and state parks charge over 25 dollar per night, isn’t it amazing!! You can have quality time as well as save some money.
Choose Travel Dates Wisely:
If you are planning to visit little far places for vacation, then you must choose the dates that are convenient for everyone, wise choice can save your time and also save on package deals that most airlines, hotels and resorts offers for the visitors on offseason. If you go in peak season, you will end up paying lot for plane tickets, hotels and other activities. So, be wise and choose appropriate dates to save money and rush so that you will have a peaceful vacation.
Don’t wait for desperate Travel Deals:
Many people wait till last minute to obtain travel deals and discounts, they believe that they should obtain them only in the last minute deals including airlines, hotels, and car rentals. But, most of these deals are not valid in peak season. Also, all these deals and discounts have limited time; they expire on that specified day, so you should check clearly if these coupons are valid or not before using them. But, for the convenience of visitors many hotels, car rentals and airlines offer these deals throughout the year.
These are 5 vital tips for planning an affordable vacation with family. Taking the entire family on a vacation is not easy as it requires a lot of budget for air tickets, hotel rooms, and etc. Therefore, one has to plan it well to make their vacation the most memorable and fun.
Adventures for ALL Seasons
September 1, 2015
With school in full swing, the start of the holiday rush, and the onset of colder weather, you may be noticing that you and your family are not getting enough fresh air, exercise, and most importantly quality time together. This happens to almost everyone, every year, but you can break the cycle this season, and we at the Abbey Inn want to help.
No matter the season, there is always something epic to experience in Southern Utah. Here are just some of the things you can do in Zion, Bryce, Cedar Breaks National Monument, and Dixie National Forest.
- Hiking, biking, backpacking, camping, climbing, canyoneering (of course)
- River trips
- X-country skiing & snowshoeing
- Horseback riding
- Star gazing and star parties
- Wilf life watching
- Geology, astronomy, biology, and anthropology talks
- Various youth and junior activities (30-45 minutes long)
Seasons may change, but the adventure never stops!
Now, if your family includes a 4th grader, you can access these sites for free. The White House has announced the initiative “Every Kid in a Park” to connect 4th graders to America’s public treasures. As of September 1st, all fourth graders attending school in the U.S. can get their very own park pass which grants them (plus three adult guests) access to any national parks, forests, wildlife refuges, and more for FREE. Students and parents can visit www.everykidinapark.gov to get their pass.
Also, show your “Every Kid in a Park” pass at the Cedar City Abbey Inn and receive a discount. See here for more details.
SUU Parent Hotel Deal
August 29, 2015
Students are returning to Cedar City for the upcoming fall semester at Southern Utah University. This is a really fun time for us at the Abbey Inn because we get to meet these energetic scholars and welcome them to our town. We also have the pleasure of meeting their parents while they are dropping off their students (many for the first time.)
In speaking with these parents, we’ve learned that this can be a difficult transition. It’s tough to leave their child on their own in a new town, but we at the Abbey Inn invite parents to come back and visit soon! If you are new to the empty-nest syndrome, your child is feeling homesick, or you just want to surprise your student with a quick visit, let the Abbey Inn help you plan your next trip to Cedar City.
There are plenty of day activities we can suggest:
- Shakespeare play
- Drive up to Cedar Breaks National Monument
- SUU athletic event
- Ski day at Brian Head Resort
- Shopping in Cedar City’s Historic Downtown
…and much more
Also, SUU parents receive a 15% discount on their rooms at the Cedar City Abbey Inn.
Click here for more details.
Treat your student to some one-on-one time with the person they miss most: YOU!
Brian Head 5k Extreme Obstacle Course Race
August 2, 2015
Why run any old 5k when could be scaling walls, crawling through mud, and more? Brian Head is hosting their first annual 5k Extreme Obstacles Course Race “Grub, Sweat, and Beers!” Test your limits at Utah’s Highest Mountain Resort.
When: August 29 @ 8 am
What: Fundraiser race to benefit Melody of Life Foundation to fight Multiple Sclerosis. After the race, enjoy live music, great food, and local brews.
Who: Teams or individuals
How: Sign Up online @ http://www.brianhead.com/Grub-Sweat-Beers-5k-Extreme
Cost: $40 online, $45 day of registration
Also, bring the whole family to experience Brian Head’s cool new summer activities: play on the zip line, bungee trampoline, rock climbing wall, summer tubing, and more.
Also, check out the Cedar City Abbey Inn Deal for this event.
Waterfalls In Southern Utah
June 9, 2015
June 9, 2015
Hiking is a favorite past time in Southern Utah, and with such a variety of landscapes to enjoy, adventurers can experience something new on each excursion. We want to help you find the right hike for whatever you are seeking (slot canyons, majestic scenery, arches, waterfalls, or more), so we will be sharing a series of posts that detail some of the lesser-known hikes according to their unique features. These hikes have become local favorites and are far less crowded than the national parks. Enjoy!
Trails with Waterfalls
Kanarville Falls Slot Canyon
Time: 4 hours round trip
Distance: 4.4 miles (from parking)
Perfect for a hot Southern Utah day, this hike follows a river through Kanarra Creek slot canyon. Hikers will wade through the shaded creek, so come prepared with appropriate shoes and clothing. After scaling a makeshift ladder at the first waterfall, adventurous hikers emerge out of the cool canyon to a peaceful playground including natural water slides. This hike is great for kids and adults, but be careful on the ladder and slippery rocks.
Video: Courtesy of Utah.com
Cascade Falls Trail
This short and easy trail rewards hikers with a natural water fall that flows directly from Navajo lake through a lava tube or sink hole and out the side of a cliff. Hikers will also enjoy spectacular views of Zion National Park from a different perspective than most tourists experience.
Distance: 0.08 miles
Photos: Courtesy of Utah Geological Survey
Average Time: 1 hour or <
Distance: 1 mile round trip
Not only is this trail popular in the summer, but adventurers seek it out in the winter in order to climb the frozen pillar created by the waterfall. This trail will guide hikers through a wildlife study area, complete with picnic tables and rest areas. The trail is lined with vegetation and concludes with a granite rock fall and a 20 foot waterfall
Photos: Courtesy of Dow Williams
DISCOVER THE HIDDEN GEMS OF SOUTHERN UTAH
April 28, 2015
When people think of Southern Utah, they envision red rock, sprawling national parks, and magnificent live theater. While we are happy to share information about these well known attractions, we love to visit with our guests and give them the locals’ insights on day activities, dining, and shopping. Give us a call, and we’ll personally help you plan your next visit to Cedar City and Southern Utah, but here are a few tips to get you started.
- Brian Head Resort This is not just a ski resort. Brian Head’s summer season will definitely be a hit with the whole family with a zip line, climbing wall, bungee trampoline, local brews, great food, music, and so much more. Beat the heat with summer temperatures around 75 degrees.
- Hiking Avoid the crowded national parks and take the path less traveled. Our trails range from easy walks to more challenging over-night excursions. Visitors can see natural arches, waterfalls, slot canyons, and more.
- Cedar Ridge Golf Course Whether you are a seasoned pro or novice, you will enjoy playing against the red rock backdrop of Cedar City. Practice on the driving range, putting and chipping green before you play the 18 hole course. Beginners can take lessons from a certified PGA professional.
- Cedar City Aquatic Center With an indoor leisure pool, water play ground, water slide, lazy river, lap pool, hot tub, a family is sure to have a fun and relaxing afternoon.
- Lake at the Hills Spend a day at the beach without the long drive. The lake offers a sandy beach, swimming, fishing, non-motorized boating, and kayak rentals all within a five minute drive from the Abbey Inn.
- Frontier Homestead State Park Discover what Iron County was like when settlers first came to Cedar City. The family will enjoy learning through historical exhibits, games, crafts, and demonstrations.
- Cedar City Historic Downtown Sip on a malted milk shake at the classic Bulloch Drugstore, stroll through local art galleries, decor and clothing shops, see a movie in the Historic Downtown Theatre, or dine at some of the favorite local eateries. Historic Downtown encapsulates the charm and small town appeal of Cedar City.
- Boulevard Home Furnishings Locally owned and designed around Cedar City heritage, the Boulevard store is a unique combination of small town personality with trusted, quality brands.
- Providence Center Home to the famous Cedar City Light House, the Providence Center offers a variety of local and chain stores and restaurants. If you forgot something for your trip, you will find it here. And yes, there is a Starbucks in Cedar City.
- Centro Woodfired Pizzeria Fresh, gourmet, and local ingredients artistically combined on top of a smokey, thin crust pizza. Salads, charcuterie, and gelato to finish it off.
- Brick House Cafe Winner of Best of State Diner 2014 & 2015. Creative twists on traditional diner favorites: burgers, sandwiches, and breakfast. With such full portions, dessert is for the die-hards, but you should at least order it to go. Pies, pastries, and fudge.
- Brody’s Mexican Restaurant Locally owned and lovingly operated, Brody’s stands out in the sea of Cedar City Mexican restaurants. Their signature dish, Molcajete, is a combination of meat and vegetables (your choices), served sizzling in a hot lava rock bowl with warm corn tortillas. Mix and match from their list of street tacos to build a delicious an affordable lunch.
We hope these recommendations help during your next stay in Cedar City. If you have any tips that you’d like us to share, please let us know.
Learn to Ski or Snowboard at Brian Head
February 5, 2015
Have you always wanted to learn to ski and/or snow board but never found the time or motivation to do it? If so, you are not alone. Not only is it an expensive sport to get into (lift pass, lessons, gear, etc.), but it takes a lot of courage to try something new, especially when mistakes are so public and painful. It’s all too easy to find any excuse to not do it, even though you know how much fun others are having.
Well Brian Head Ski Resort wants to help you overcome your fears and excuses and finally join your family and friends on the slopes this winter. They are offering a program called Brian Head University where they guarantee that you will Learn in 3 or it’s Free. This is the first season for the program, and they have pulled out all the stops in order to convert you into a life long skier or snowboarder.
Included in this $199 package deal you will receive:
- 3 Terrain Based Group Lessons on days of your choice (they recommend you reserve your spot 72 hours prior)
- 3 Lift Passes
- 3 Days of Rentals
And if you “Graduate” from Brian Head University you will receive:
- Free season pass for the remainder of the 2014-2015 season
- 50% off season pass for 2015-2016 season
- 25% off season pass for 2016-2017 season
- 20% off season pass for 2017-2018 season
For more details and to make your reservation go to www.brianhead.com
Also, mention Brian Head University while reserving your room at the Abbey Inn and receive 15% off your room.
Discount Brian Head lift tickets
The Abbey Inn of Cedar City is offering an amazing ski package this year!
Brian Head packages as low as $140 which includes:
– Two Queen or One King Sized Room
– Two Adult Full Day Lift Passes
– Additional Adult or Child Lift Passes may be Purchased
*Call 1-800-325-5411 to make your package reservation today!
CLICK HERE for more information about our packages!
Vacation home rentals in Cedar City, UT
Did you know that the Abbey Inn of Cedar City also has three vacation home rentals? These homes are adjacent to the hotel and include all of the hotel amenities along with a FULL HOT BREAKFAST! These vacation homes are the perfect solution for a large party visiting the National Parks, Shakespeare Festival, or the Utah Summer Games. To find out more and to reserve your vacation home rental CLICK HERE